Reading is the most fundamental skill that students must master in order to be successful in all other subjects. We believe that any student – no matter his or her background – can succeed when given the right tools.
It’s part of our Theory of Change, which states:
“In order to equip our children with the reading skills they need to be successful in college, their careers and in citizenship, we need strong, literacy minded leadership in every public school and dedicated, creative, literacy-minded teachers in every classroom.”
The Barksdale Reading Institute is designed to significantly improve Mississippi students’ pre-literacy and reading skills through our seven-part mission:
- Improve literacy skills so students leave third grade reading fluently and comprehending at a third grade level.
- Implement diagnostically-driven, differentiated reading instruction in grades K- 3.
- Expand teachers’ knowledge of reading instruction through professional development focused on BRI’s Reading Universe program.
- Enhance the quality of early childhood education programs, including Head Start, in-school and private programs.
- Increase parental involvement in BRI’s partner schools.
- Strengthen the role of the principal as the instructional leader in the schools where BRI is working.
- Develop and enhance pre-service teacher reading instruction at Mississippi’s colleges and universities.