Reading Universe is a guide that helps K-3 teachers improve core reading instruction in BRI’s partner schools. It was designed and developed by BRI’s master literacy specialists and education consultants from Mississippi’s institutions of higher learning.
Reading Universe is designed to identify the reading skills that all early elementary teachers must understand and be able to teach in order to produce successful readers. Our program recognizes that, while the skills children need to become strong readers are universal, reading instruction is not always a linear process and instruction has to be tailored to meet individual students’ needs.
Each of the skill lessons in Reading Universe follows a standard format that includes:
- A clear definition of the skill
- An explanation of why the skill is important to the learning process
- Identification of the Mississippi Language Arts Benchmarks related to the skill
- Modeling of specific strategies that introduce new and proven instructional methods and materials
- Methods for assessing the skill and defining mastery
- Consideration for how to apply the skill to different grade levels
- Time for reflection and practice